Thursday, July 23, 2009

Are You Ready?

Life remains a struggle for survival in Southern Sudan. Twenty-one years of war, North against South, has left 2 million dead and another 4 million displaced. The mind cannot absorb such staggering dimensions of suffering. Of hunger. Of thirst. What did this mother feel as she carried her lifeless child who just starved to death?

We know of a gifted senior pastor in Conn. that has gone with people from his church to the Sudan, many times. They teach. They give. Over and over. Their rewards are piling up. They were ready when the call came from above.

That picture in the Sudan is repeated around the globe today. To be honest, that gets overwhelming for me sometimes. There are days when I feel like I am just running in place. Spending a lot of energy, time and effort trying to make a difference. But accomplishing little.

Perhaps prophetically, a local pastor has been saying that The King is Coming. Are You Ready To Meet the King? Sobering thought we all need to answer. Ironically, many church goers are convinced that they are ready. Are they really ready? Are you ready?

There is a passage in Luke 3 worth pondering. The Message paraphrase is pretty descriptive of the scene with John the Baptist telling it as it was (and as it is today):

When crowds of people came out for baptism because it was the popular thing to do, John exploded:… Do you think a little water on your snakeskins is going to deflect God's judgment? It's your life that must change…What counts is your life. Is it green and blossoming? Because if it's deadwood, it goes on the fire."

The crowd asked him, "Then what are we supposed to do?" "If you have two coats, give one away," he said. "Do the same with your food."

That is troublesome. I struggle with what I have compared to how much I am giving away. I have not given away ½ of my coats nor ½ of my food. I am holding onto retirement funds and other stuff. I justify holding onto what I do have even though I have seen hungry children like the one in the photo. I must remember that the King is coming. When I see Him, I want to ready.

Good works does not earn salvation. Never did. Salvation comes from grace alone. But a lack of good works may be a sign that something is wrong. Limited good works by the saved will limit the rewards that are given to the saved.

Lives that are changed should demonstrate a new life in Christ. That is what John is saying. The evidence should be there.
Clearly. Selflessly. Frequently. Compassionately.

That evidence can be seen in those who go, those who give, those who are ready.

Are you going? Are you giving? Are you ready?


No comments: