Saturday, December 20, 2008

Lines on the Left and the Right

The Christmas season is always a great study in human behavior. Lines everywhere. Clerks going back and forth telling people which lines to be in. Many times people ask me if they are in the right line. I have to think for a moment before I answer. You see, someday everything will stop, we will leave our packages behind and new lines will form on the left and on the right of the Christ of Christmas. What we do now, could etermine the line we will be in then.

In the last sermon recorded by the Matthew, Jesus describes the lines on that day, not as a parable (do not miss this point) but with the frankness of our favorite TV reality show. The lines will form before Him one person at a time. On that day, Jesus will separate the sheep from the goats. Many of us do not like to hear that. After all, aren’t all “Christians”, the sheep? Aren't all "Christians" saved?

On what basis will He make his selection? The answer surprises many “believers” including church pastors. The test that Jesus will use is pretty simple, Jesus said. “I was hungry, and you gave me food. I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was alone and away from home, and you invited me into your house. I was without clothes, and you gave me something to wear. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.” (Matthew 25:31-46)

How do we get into the right line? What is the sign of the saved? Their deep and profound scholarship? Their willingness to tithe their income? Their elaborate mission strategies? Their role on a church board? Their skillful sermons laced with Hebrew and Greek words? Their attendance at large and growing church churches? Sorry, but the answer is not necessarily.

I love the way that Max Lucado describes the test:
The sign of the saved is their love for the least.

Max Lucadi says that those on the right hand of God will be those who gave hope to the helpless, food to the hungry, love to the fatherless, drink to the thirsty, warmth to the lonely, clothing to the naked, comfort to the sick, and friendship to the imprisoned, etc. Those "Christians" who did not - are on the left. I tend to agree with him.

Jesus lives in the lives of the forgotten. He has taken up residence in the ignored and the poor. If we want to see Jesus we must go among the lonely, the single mom doing life alone, the child in foster care, the broken and busted people of life and there we will see Him. If you want to see Jesus, then you must be willing to go where He is. And He is very much alive this day here and around the world.

Have you seen Jesus lately? If not, perhaps you are in the wrong line.

To be honest, once you are with the poor and forgotten, especially the children, the Christian life is given new meaning and purpose. Doing church as normal loses its significance. Sadly, many who will attend church this week, are in the wrong line and do not know it. This Christmas as we stop for just a day to recall His birth, remember the “inauguration” speech that Jesus gave in the temple in Luke 4:18-19

The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me, the Anointed One, the Messiah, to preach the good news, the Gospel, to the poor; He has sent Me to announce release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to send forth as delivered those who are oppressed, those who are downtrodden, bruised, crushed, and broken down by calamity. To proclaim the accepted and acceptable year of the Lord, the day when salvation and the free favors of God profusely abound.

The sign of the saved is their love for the least. I believe that.

Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Christi Bowman said...

I LOVE THIS LARRY!!!!!!!!

Can I email you later?

Christi Bowman