Thursday, December 4, 2008

Looking at Eternity Through a Keyhole

I have to admit that there have been many days of late when I am completely unsure of what is next for A Child's Hope International. Oh, I am convinced of the mission for orphans and vulnerable children. No problem there. The doubt comes from within. It is fear of the unknown.

When the fear comes, the mind goes into overdrive. The mind says that ... there is no way to care for the children of the world when you cannot take care of your own. How do we pay the mortgage? Or health insurance? Or get ready for the weddings of the girls in this home (4 left)? Or college? Retirement funds? House repairs? Car repairs? The list goes on.

Our family income has shrunk over 75% since we left Hope Church last May. That is a cold water reality and when you are cold, your knees shake. And when they shake, you are unable to run the race set before you.

Our 401k's have been slashed in 1/2. Our house has shrunk in value. We want to sell but we can’t. Somehow those things become larger than life. The losses can distort reality and blur the vision of what is really before us. As a result, it is easy to see eternity only through the narrow lens of a keyhole.

The reality is something that Dave Wilkinson mentioned in "A Life God Rewards" when he said that everything we do today, matters forever. Everything!

There is a direct link between what we do today and what we will experience after we die. Astoundingly, the majority of spiritual seekers around the world - including millions who follow Jesus Christ - seemed to have missed what He said. At times, I have been one of them because of fear:

  • Our eternal destiny is the result of what we believe on earth
  • Our eternal reward is the result of how we behave on earth

Amidst all of the losses and the doubts of tomorrow, the reality is that Wendy and I are blessed beyond measure. We still have something in savings for the future and we have a home. Even far more important is that our eternal destination is secure without any doubt!

Eternity is far greater than what I have seen through the keyhole of my own fear. May the Lord forgive me for my doubt, my fear and my hesitation to let go of all of what is on this side of the keyhole.

Today, God used a poignant video about Sam & Esther to refocus our vision on His children and I clearly heard His voice say The children are waiting - where are you?" After you click the play button, let me know what you think at lebergeron@achildshopeintl.org


Sam and Esther's Story

No comments: